The Search

Of everything
There is so much more than a name
There is so much more than an age
There is so much more than what you see
There is so much more beyond me



Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Coach's

One of my kids came over to visit today….. her excuse was she needed to walk! uh uh….. I think it’s more like she wanted to make sure Mom was walking. However, I appreciated the company….


It’s amazing how a good coach can help you brighten your attitude, give you an honest assessment of your performance, and offer ways to help you improve…. encouragement does wonders.....


(confession with a red face), I had been slipping my house shoes on to go outside and walk around the house on cement…. I was gently reminded that like it or not, I need to take time to put on my good walking shoes with socks for support and warmth….. ok, ok!


I was also encouraged to stop walking when it started hurting…. By doing this I realized that I feel relief much faster after sitting for a moment than I did before the surgery. We have several chairs and benches scattered around the house on the patios and there is no reason not to use them. well, I honestly thought I was supposed to walk thru pain..geez.


Time after time I was told to slow down…… “Mom, after a year of doing nothing it’s only been two weeks and you can’t expect overnight results, this is going to take time"!!! here we go again, how many times do I have to hear the same lecture!


She made me tell her every little pain, when and where it started. I now know that most of my weakness is in my right leg. There are a particular set of muscles that are tightening up which can now be identified and possibly treated….. she suggested heat and ice like one would treat any sick muscle. ok, she did have a few good ideas.


She made me realize the pain really is still different than it was before the surgery. Improved pain……. What a concept! Sometimes when it hurts all over it’s hard to pin point the real problem, so that’s another place a good coach can help with. ok, so some times the coach is right....geez.


She promised another session soon. More walking of course, but maybe along with some window shopping and lunch out……hey, now you’re talking!


I AM willing to suffer for that gold medal……… All you need is a good coach!


3 comments:

Shark said...

Mary, that 'coach' is great to have -- and priceless as a daughter. Give her a big hug from me, the long-distance scolder/encourager!

I'm so glad you're walking, stopping BEFORE you hurt, wearing your good walking shoes [uh-hurumph], and continuing to progress.

At this point, the key is to find a balance between Pushing It and Pacing It. [Boy, don't I know it!]

But keep working, keep stretching those muscles -- because you're on the home stretch [stretch, get it?!] toward a painless back. The legs will slowly get stronger as you keep walking.

So glad you're doing well. And don't forget to thank God for that 'coach' you have.

xxoo
mark "use it or lose it" shark

Mary said...

"At this point, the key is to find a balance between Pushing It and Pacing It. [Boy, don't I know it!]"

hey mark - It helps to know you understand that fine line between. it is so hard to know how far to go and when to stop!

I'm learning tho....some of it coming just from the improvements I've made so far. I am just amazed at the time it's taking.

and yes, I will pass that hug along! :)

Nina said...

A good coach and cheer leader always help to jump start an activity. I know we were always taught no pain, no gain but that is not entirely true. We now are taught to listen to our bodies and rest when needed. Go figure... Actually it is a good idea. Glad your up and walking more. May the son always shine to Light your way. Blessings to you and yours. Love and Light, Nina P