The Search

Of everything
There is so much more than a name
There is so much more than an age
There is so much more than what you see
There is so much more beyond me



Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Compass Points



The teacher ask if anyone could tell her how many points there are on a compass….. Little Johnnie raised his hand and said five! The teacher said five? Why do you say five, can you name them?

Little Johnnie said “I sure can, North, South, East, West,

and…… where I am!”

<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>


Many of us would be hard pressed to argue with that simple answer, and if you include the compass point of where each of us are, the compass becomes larger than any one of us can count.


This morning I learned of the death of a friend who has finished her battle with colon cancer and came out the winner.

We know where she is, but the importance is in where it leaves her family,


including her 10-year-old son.


Earlier in the month the grandson of a life long friend was involved in a horrendous car accident which put him with a broken and bloodied body into a deep coma.


Awakening, his location is now slowly changing as he struggles to relearn


how to breathe, speak, and use his mind and limbs all over again.


I know of another who broke her ankle, another who learned her mother has breast cancer, another who is celebrating the birth of a new baby, another who is recuperating from surgery, another conquering a mountain on cancer weakened legs. And there are others, each at their own point on the compass.


Life leading us around the compass.


For each of these people, their world stopped for a few moments, and moving to a different location did not seem possible. When they brought my friend’s grandson into the trauma hospital they were told IF he lives, his recovery will be a marathon not a sprint.


Through his journey his loved ones are also becoming stronger.


For my friend who died this morning, her family, thru their memories of her courage and love


will move forward by realizing their own strength.


For my friend celebrating the birth of her baby, she will grow in ways


she could never have realized.


For my friend climbing the mountain, he will not notice the pain


nearly as much as the beauty he sees when standing at the top


They are all recipients of changing locations on the compass. For now, they are stuck with what it seems like nowhere to go. Confused and afraid and some of them happy, but still totally unrelated to the rest of the compass. This moment on this earth, their point of location is


the primary point on the compass.


If they will allow themselves to take notice,……..


“Where I am”,

will take on a whole new meaning for them….


“Where I am”

is forever etched in stone as a turning point in their lives….


<<<<<<<>>>>>>>


I reach out to dream

Of peace

Of love

Of strength

Of relief

Of silence

Of laughter

Of all those things and so much more

I reach out to see not where I have been,

But with God, I see where I am

With hope I see not how to get to where I am going

But I see where I can be.

I need to be where I am

With God at my side

My trust comes from

appreciating

where I am.


<<<<<<<>>>>>>>





9 comments:

Shark said...

My condolence to you, Mary, and especially the family of your friend. It's yet another reminder that each of us will have to make that same journey -- and also that each day is a gift.

Thank you for this reminder too: "...For my friend climbing the mountain, he will not notice the pain nearly as much as the beauty he sees when standing at the top."

And I'll try to remember that there is as much beauty along the way. As a matter of fact, I look forward to dawdling along the trail as much as reaching the top. [You have to walk rather slowly to be able to listen to those rocks!] And I'll take along binoculars and a magnifying glass: to see what's far away -- and to see what's right under my nose.

==

I want to reciprocate with one of my favorite quotes [that I know you can appreciate]:

"The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next."

xxoo
m

Mary said...

Shark, By all means take your time as each place holds it own special beauty, even the most difficult spots. It's those you may not see at the moment, you will take home with you and learn from. Go slowly and be safe......

el poquito said...

it's just nice sitting here, hangin' with the two of you.

This is a touching piece, Mary, from beginning to end. Your compass that touches so many points, honors so many lives and people reaches out toward all of us, your readers. You're in a very special time; I can feel it from way o'er here. The rawness, the beauty, all converging; tears of sad, tears of joy. Glad you're here to experience them all. Glad I'm here to share them with you.

All the best as you continue forward. xo!

Mary said...

hey ep... great to read your writings again! What is left "un-said" in this piece is what we can take from every moment in our lives, no matter how hard the situation is for us. Often times we're too busy celebrating the joys or wallowing in our grief and sadness that we fail to see strength it is filling us with. We can let each moment beat us down, or give us a unappreciated sense or joy, or we can take a true positive lesson from it. "Where I am" is what I make of it ..... I always walk away from my moments with you a more complete person.

Beth Niquette said...

It is true--so many people are facing so much pain, sorrow and change.

I often think about God's chain of comforted. He helps us through our pain, sorrow and struggles,so that in turn we may comfort and help others...

I know you are going to help others. There is such a strength and beauty about your writing. I have a feeling you are going to write a book someday...

((hugs))

Mary said...

Thank you for your kind words Beth, I really believe that God brings people together for a reason... For comfort to be sure, but also celebrations! The lessons we can learn from others simply by opening our hearts to share are invaluable..... case in point my sharing the journey of this year of restoration has brought me everything from practical advice to much needed support, and the chance to help teach others to take care of themselves. "Where I am" is an extremely important point on the compass to each of us, but reaching beyond that boundary only enhances it.

Beth Niquette said...

Hello I'm back...Wow--you have been through so much--reading again I see the gift you are to everyone around you.

I wanted to thank you for your kind words, thoughts and prayers when our darling Crickette' died.

Please do come by for a little surprise I made--in celebration of her life--especially for those who have been so loving and supportive.

Blessings to you, dear one.

Nina said...

Oh what precious words you share. How often do we want to start there, or maybe up there, or how about over there.... However, the only place I can start is..."where I am". There is no other place for me but here. I can't start where you are, or you, or you... I can only start "where I am". There are many points on a compass but as you so eloquently say, only one place to start, each moment, each day, each now... right here "where I am."
You dear soul are a shining point on my compass. You shed wisdom and light along your way. May you find Peace and Comfort "where you are" and may God Grant You His Peace and Understanding during this difficult time(s). Remember "where He is, IS Right Where You are", In, With and Trough you always. Blessings to you and yours. May your heart be Blessed with God's Healing Power and Grace, and may He shine His Face Upon you and yours always. Love and Light, Nina P

Anonymous said...

I love this post. You did good!
I saw "me" in it, and I was touched.
I am now invisibly connected to all these others who are on their own journey; connected through your words and our relationship to you.
Now moving on to my next compass point-a welcome one. Carrying a little piece of you with me.
Aloha!