The Search

Of everything
There is so much more than a name
There is so much more than an age
There is so much more than what you see
There is so much more beyond me



Thursday, June 18, 2009

Getting to the other side


Little know fact about “tarzan”…….. I LOVE structures of any kind, but especially steel structures…. There is just something beautiful in the way man designs and creates useable objects from metal.


Bridges have always fascinated me, but also scared me. I really hate crossing bridges. I imagine that comes from several situations involving bridges when I was a kid. There were two bridges just down the road from us that we had to cross every time we went into town….. One we called “big bridge” and one we called “little bridge…… When it flooded, we had to use them anyway, if we needed to get to town for any reason. The water would cover all but the side rails and it was very frightening to cross in those conditions. Also, I remember hiding under the old wooden bridge when I didn’t want to be found. The steep slope of the creek banks it crossed, and the rumbling of the cross beams when a vehicle went over it with me setting under it….. Of course I was told not to ever go under the bridge …. I wrote in a earlier post about the old swinging foot bridge that crossed the creek on down to the south us…. I pictured myself falling thru one of the old boards every time I crossed it.


It may not surprise you that I also think oil drilling rigs are one of the prettiest structures that man has built….. There are so many sizes and kinds, but each one holds it’s own personality. When you see the countryside dotted with rigs lit up at night, it’s like a wonder world of Christmas trees the whole year round…….


Following are pictures of some of the bridges we’ve crossed that falls in my “favorites” category….. As you look at each one, I hope you will just imagine the hours it took to construct it and the stories behind it. Honestly these are only a sampling of the hundreds of bridge pictures I've taken, I also have quite a few pictures of wooden bridges and covered bridges. Isn’t it amazing what man will do to go from one place to the other……


Oh yes, and I also added in a drilling rig just for the heck of it……. Of course there is so much more to each picture and each bridge crossing or structure that you see here.























1 comment:

Nina said...

I too love bridges! Covered Bridges. Railroad Bridges. Bridges of Friendship. Bridges to places waiting to be explored. Bridges inviting you to cross and continue the journey.. Thank you for sharing your love and photo’s. Love and Light, Nina P.