The Search

Of everything
There is so much more than a name
There is so much more than an age
There is so much more than what you see
There is so much more beyond me



Thursday, June 11, 2009

Three New Families



top left: The birch tree in the south yard holds a dove’s nest, she was setting very still as I got close enough to snap her picture, you can just see her eye looking at me.


top right: The oak tree in the west yard holds a robin’s nest. Try as I may, I could not get a shot of her facing me, so what you see is her tail.


Under our south porch is a barn swallow’s nest. This is taken from inside the house just as Mom brought supper.


Just plain old "yard birds", nothing special or beautiful, but we get so much enjoyment out of watching them from birth to adulthood.....


Though the doves have been coming to our yard to get drinks for a couple of years, this is the first year they have built their nest within the boundary of the fence where we can watch their progress, so it will be interesting. Their nest is right outside the living room windows. From what I can tell so far, they are taking turns setting on the nest.


Mama Robin sets on the nest most all of the time while Dad brings her food. Their babies have not hatched yet. Just as I walked away from taking her picture on the nest, here came papa with supper, he's holding a worm in his mouth.










June10th the swallows hatched. Mom & Dad are currently flying in and out on a frenzied feeding schedule. This will be the third year the swallows have came back to the same location to build a nest. They are a delightful family of birds to watch grow and leave the nest for flight training. the one day old baby swallows are doing fine, we think are 3 in the nest but we’re not sure yet. Mom and Dad will swoop and try to dive bomb us when we go outside close to the porch.


I’ll be keeping you updated on their progress……



2 comments:

Heather said...

so sweet! robins are one type of birds that i don't see here in florida (we don't have lightning bugs/fireflies either). we have blue jays, doves and my favorite a cardinal couple. at night we have "whip-poor-wills" they come out as it warms up in the spring.

once we had a family of small bats seek shelter in our garage during hurricanes. they stayed for a long time after. i had emailed our bat society and it turns out they were not normally the type to inhabit buildings. they ate mosquitoes and didn't cause us any problems. our garage isn't part of the house, so we let them stay. when i was diagnosed with cancer my dad evicted the poor little things.

i spend most of my days sitting on our back porch sweating in the heat and humidity watching the creatures. of course there's lizards, frogs, rabbits and squirrels. an occasional tortoise. once even a fox! (we live in a subdivision) so it's really neat.

in the spring the harmless black snakes also come out. they are mating and really active. or will be soaking up the sun until the blue jays swoop down and peck at them til they slither away.

the home we may be moving too is not built up on any sides of the property (i wish the land was part of the property). i can't wait to see what creatures live out there!

Nina said...

I too grew up in a small town. We had a farm where my parents let us raise animals for 4-H. There were so many bird houses around. We had a pond out back and the swallows loved to nest there. They’d swoop down and get the insects. So fun to watch. The most favorite was when the barn cat tried to cross the yard… I’m laughing out loud right now… Those darn swallows would swoop down and the cat would crouch down so not to get pecked on the head! :-D What a “giggles and grins” memory. Thank you for reminding me. I love your blog and poetry, writings, and photo’s. Keep fighting the fight!
I wrote a poem for a dear friend of mine recently diagnosed with Cancer. A woman of great Faith caught off guard, kept saying : “this really sucks”. Well after I hugged her my mind wouldn’t stop until I wrote her a poem. “When Life Really Sucks”. It’s about Hope, Faith and Love.
www.ninapthoughts.blogspot.com/2009_03_15_archive.html
And another I want to share is on Miracles….
www.ninapthoughts.blogspot.com/2009_03_29_archive.html I hope you enjoy. May God Bless you with His Healing Love and Light. Nina P.