The Search

Of everything
There is so much more than a name
There is so much more than an age
There is so much more than what you see
There is so much more beyond me



Monday, September 22, 2008

"Cool"

I received an email from my 20 year old granddaughter today who is away at college as a Sophmore, and I’d like to share (in part) some of what she said. I say “in part”, because after all,, there has to be SOME secrets between girls!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Granny! I have been pretty busy lately it feels like I never get a break… and if I do I fill it with more busy things. Right now I have an hour break between classes and I’m just killing time in the library. I’m starting to finish the campus requirements and move on to more major specific classes. This semester I have Macroeconomics, Business Law, Statistics (which I hate the most), Accounting, and a Race and Ethnic studies class. Plus I have the class I had to apply to get into called presidents leadership program.

Weekends I have been going to the football games and just trying to relax a little and get caught up for the week. I signed up to be on a co-ed intramural flag football team. Games are on Wednesday nights and so far it has been a lot of fun. Most of the people on my team are from my floor last year so it’s nice to hang out with them all again. So far we are 1-1 so we’re not doing too badly.

I’m trying to get used to this whole grocery shopping thing and trying to cook for myself. It’s hard to cook a half way healthy meal for yourself every night, let alone finding the time to. I have eaten a lot of pasta lately it seems like just because it is so easy.

So I looked at your blog and it is awesome! I was surprised at how much you already have on there. How long have you been doing this for? I’m impressed! I love the colors and the pictures you have on there. I read almost all of it and I have checked back a couple of times to see if there was anything new put on. I really enjoy reading it. We are living in the online age so I think it’s really cool you’re doing this. I will keep checking in to see what new things you add.
Well I’m off to accounting!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, so here we have two people communicating with 45 years between them. Talk about “cool’!!!    I also have a grandson away at college, and he also emailed the other day – His consisted of two sentences telling me how much he hates the “formal fallacies” he is studying in his English class, and he can’t wait to get a job. Ha! Ah, the difference between the males and females of the world….

My granddaughter is enjoying almost every moment of her college experience and I so envy her. I never went to college and 45 years later I do feel like I missed out on an introduction to life. Instead, I went from parents to husband, and then a child less than a year later, and two more two years later. My education has been “life” and it’s a much harder way to learn.

Macroeconomics? I don’t even know what that is, but I wonder if it has anything to do with feeding a family of five on less money than she spends for a football ticket! Learning about money consisted of making sure you make the house payment first, then if there is anything left over you get to decide what to feed 3 little kids for supper. I’m sure they will teach her about “saving”, and probably something about investing.

Given the status of today’s stock market and financial crisis in America in 2008, I would advise her to find a good fruit jar and use it……. Honest advice to her and the rest of the grandkids, there is so much more than what they teach you in college….. Soak up as much as you can and get that degree, but remember to be practical, believe in yourself first, and trust your instincts… If your professor’s knew “everything” they would all be billionaires living the easy life instead of teaching you in turn for a measly salary.

There will be more on here about my grandkids and things I want to share with them. But for now, I need to send her some recipes…… ☺

No comments: