The Search

Of everything
There is so much more than a name
There is so much more than an age
There is so much more than what you see
There is so much more beyond me



Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Country Doctor

We had one doctor in town, his name was “Doc. Wallace”. I remember him being old but I have no idea what his age would have been when I was a kid. Regardless he was either really old, or he had some kind of palsy, because his hands shook.

Doc Wallace had a little office on main street, it was nothing fancy, there was a waiting room but I don’t remember there being any kind of a receptionist. He hung a sign on the outside door if he was out, and if he was in, he hung a sign that said “busy” on his treatment room door. Most items he needed for treatment was on shelves in that room, but if he had to order a drug he called our local drugstore which was across the street.

I only remember using him twice. Once was when I came down with the mumps. I woke up with a fever and before long the side of my face was quite swollen. I was kept in bed and he was called at which time he offered to come out to the house because he needed to come that direction to see another patient anyway. He examined me, declared it as mumps and I don’t remember him giving me anything to take but told Mom I should put an ice pack on it, stay in bed and to keep me quiet until the swelling ws gone. I laid in bed for what seemed like a year, but it was probably not over two days. As soon as I decided the swelling had gone down, I was up and at 'em again. Getting yelled at of course by Mom not to overdo.

Not long after that, I felt feverish again and the other side swelled up! Mom didn’t call the doctor this time, but it was back to bed for me. Another year passed……..well, 2 or 3 more days passed and I was up and outside again. I, and my folks thought all was well, I had lived thru the mumps.

A few days later, here they came again, only this time I remember being really sick. Both sides of my neck and on down into my chest was swollen, I hurt badly. Back to bed with another ice pack and Doc Wallace was called again. This time he declared they had gone down on me, and I was to stay in bed and not move for a week, no matter how well I thought I felt!  He told me if I didn’t do what he said I would die. Since I felt like I was going to anyway, I didn’t argue with him.

Another year passed……….and finally, I was allowed up and out.

The only other time I remember seeing Doc Wallace was in his office in town. I had a spot on my upper forehead next to my hair line that kept itching, and then it moved downward towards my eyebrow. Mom figured it was ringworm and we tried “over the counter salves”. They didn’t work, and neither did the home remedies we tried. Then we went to town to have Doc. Wallace look at it. He set me down on a chair in his treatment room and turned around and took a bottle off his shelf. Then he set down right next me and stuck a cotton swab in the bottle. I remember the medicine was deep purple. He said to me, “now you must sit very still, because if get any of this in your eye you will be blinded” He told me not to move, not to even blink. I was scared by then, so I did what I was told.

There he came at me with his shaky hands telling me to sit still! I only remember thinking that you get any of that in my eye, it’s going to be your fault if I go blind, not mine! He smeared some of the medicine on it, then gave it another swab in about 15 minutes and I was sent home. Within a week the spot on my forehead was gone.

There was so much more to all the things old Doc Wallace did for our little community, I remember riding with Mom and Dad several different times when we would need to haul one of the oil field workers who had been injured into town to get them patched up. Eventually he closed his office, and our town never had another doctor. He was a wonderful person and missed by many.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun story about old country doctors. They administered whatever health care was necessary and could usually handle anything that came their way. Unlike the doctors of today who are very specialized and have to be "credentialed" to do a special procedure.

I work with a nurse whose father was an "old country Doctor" in a small town. She shared the funniest story about Christmas when she was a small girl. To get all his kids to go to sleep early on Christmas eve, her Daddy the Doctor would give them all a teaspoon of "Christmas goodie" and send them off to bed. The syrup had a distinctive smell and color, but was not unpleasant tasting. All the kids would swallow down their "Christmas goodie" and fall fast asleep with dreams of sugar plums dancing in their heads.

This went on every Christmas eve until she was a teenager.
Years later, while in nursing school, she was suppose to medicate one of her young patients with Chloral hydrate, a sedative used for anesthesia or to induce sleep. When she opened the bottle to pour the dose into the medicine cup, the old familiar odor of the "Christmas goodie" wafted up to her nose. She started giggling as she finally discovered the true secret behind Daddy's "Christmas" Goodie!"

Neon Moon

Anonymous said...

I grew up thinking that there were only three medicines necessary to treat any sickness, pain, or injury; the dreaded Red Medicine, (Merthiolate), Aspirin (crushed between two spoons and mixed with sugar), and Mentholatum rubbed on the chest and under the nose to cure chest and nasal congestion.

If you had something that couldn't be cured by those 3 things, you were in really bad shape!!

Neon Moon