The Search

Of everything
There is so much more than a name
There is so much more than an age
There is so much more than what you see
There is so much more beyond me



Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Guests

With a knock on the door you come into my life,
you brighten my world.
First with a hug and your very presence.
You come laden with many gifts….
Warmth, knowledge, laughter, and conversation
To feed my mind, and so much more.
Let my home become your home.
Let me take care of you, and offer love in return.
Let me fill your body and mind with comfort
Let me forever be grateful that you were here
and to that day you will come again.


I love to entertain; I suppose that comes from my great Aunt Lou, who came from Southern stock, in the New Orleans area. We visited her often when I was young. She regularly set such a beautiful table even for just a simple meal. Everyone always had their own individual salt & pepper wells, and butter pats. When meat on the bone was served she had matching bone trays to circle around the side of each plate.

She used to serve “bums” who would knock on the door asking for something to eat. Though they were not allowed in the main house, they were brought onto the back porch where a nice, but small table was set for them, and a paper sack was made available for them to take the left over’s. She never turned anyone down and always reminded them to eat heartedly as there was so much more, and she wanted them to leave full.

Her kitchen was her domain….. It may have looked dis-organized to a stranger, but she knew where every item of food was, where each utensil or pot & pan & dish was located. I was standing at her side once when she was filling a bowl of mashed potatoes to carry to the table, and she left some in the pan. I ask her why she didn’t add those to the bowl and she said “I wouldn’t want to over fill the bowl as it might appear pretentious to some”. She went on to tell me how many other things could be made from the extra mashed potatoes…. “cakes for supper another night, breads, a topping for baked dish, or warmed up for someone who might need them”.

I cherish the memories of visiting Aunt Lou and Uncle Frank, they made a great contribution to our world during the 100 years they were here until they passed away in the 1950’s.

No comments: