The Search

Of everything
There is so much more than a name
There is so much more than an age
There is so much more than what you see
There is so much more beyond me



Wednesday, December 2, 2009

#5 of the Matrix

#5 of the Matrix………Medical Miracles


I have never been a “pill taker”…. Honestly – I have always hated relying on medicines….. Even when an antibiotic was necessary, I couldn’t wait until the prescribed dose was finished. I have fought taking medicine all my life.


Imagine my horror when after my heart attack, I was immediately put on a blood thinner, a cholesterol pill, an asprin, and two blood pressure meds daily…. And told I HAD to take them - That’s five pills a day! Throw in a sleeping pill that was prescribed in the beginning, and a fish oil pill, then a couple of other suggested vitamins, and I felt like a down and out drug user!


I just had a blood test on Monday Nov. 30th, and an a check up appointment with the heart doctor today, Dec. 2nd……. I am happy to report that my cholesterol level’s, trigyscerides, etc…..were all half of what they were one year ago. THE DRUGS ARE WORKING! Another medical miracle that would not have been possible very many years ago.


If this had happened to me say 20 years ago, I probably would not have survived. Consider the coated stent that holds my artery open, the balloon pump which allowed my heart to rest for 3 days following surgery, the emergency procedures, the remarkable moment by moment care I received through medicine and state of the art equipment…. A positive to be sure.


Medical techonolgy has advanced beyond what anyone could have imagined only a short time ago in so many fields. Transplants for vital organs, cancer, heart, cell and nerve repair, the vines are flourishing in the jungle. They are growing at a rapid rate for all of us to grab when we need them. As I just finished taking my handful of pills, I know I am living proof…..

1 comment:

Nina said...

How true you are about the miracles of modern medicine. Even in my field of medical imaging, I've seen numerous and beneficial changes over the past 30 years. And pharmaceuticals, well, we can dislike taking them, but they truly save lives. So just say cheers and down the hatch they go... Love and Light, Nina P